April 28, 2009

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

Hey, guys! For this weeks history assignment, we had to write a song to the tune of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. We had to mention poll tax, Redeemers, the Klu Klux Klan, segregation, lynching, and the driving of black leaders out of the south.

The song, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, was written by Wallace Willis.

Verse 1

Them old guard southerners rising up, to take my rights away. This time with poll tax, and no fair trials. Taking my rights away.

Verse 2

Them white men driving us lawmakers away, with guns pointed to our heads, no more voting and no more land, them white men say. Taking my rights away.

Chorus

Swing sad, swing very sad. They’re taking my rights away, I just got free, but not for long, they’re taking my rights away.

Verse 3

I’m sometimes scared, to leave my house, for the Klu Klux Klan, will lynch me bad and hang me round. Taking my rights away.

Verse 4

The brightest day, that I can say, is far away. For segregation keeps me down. Taking my rights away.

Verse 5

Them redeemers are no help, for they are not concerned, with all our fear and worries still. Taking my rights away.

Chorus

Swing sad, swing very sad. They’re taking my rights away, I just got free, but not for long, they’re taking my rights away.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Work.

    Also, you really should consider going back to the old design for this blog. Much older-ish feeling. Just my two cents, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx. I like the more modern stuff. thx for your oppinion that i didn't ask for anyway. JK JK JUST KIDDING! =)

    ReplyDelete