March 25, 2009

John Brown Assignment

In our history "class" we have been studying and learning about the civil war. For one of the assignments I had to imagine I was John Brown in jail, and a newspaper man from Baltimore is visiting me to hear my side of the story on the attack in Harper's Ferry and my(John Brown's) stand on slavery.

I have many reasons for my actions in Harper's Ferry. I will not name all of them, but there are some that I feel important that I need to share.I believe that slavery is erroneous. I did intend to start a slave uprising, although it never came. I believe that slavery is morally wrong, and that each person should be treated equally.Each person should have freedom. None should be mistreated for the color of their skin. Each and every one of us should have equal rights. We should all be able to walk outside of these doors and not be looked down on for the color of our skin.

I believe that what I am doing is an act of God. God has led me to do this, and through him this will be accomplished.

As I will say in court, "I deny everything, but…a design on my part to free slaves…Had I interfered in the manner which I admit…in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great,…every man in this court would have deemed it an act of worthy of reward rather than punishment. "

Today, many people have come to the courthouse. Many will disagree, many harsh words will be spoken, and I am sure names called. We will not stop until I have accomplished my mission from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment